Sunday, January 25, 2009

All Stars

With the All Star festivities in full swing marking the half-way point in this years season, many people have flocked to Montreal’s Bell Centre to join the masses in watching the best of the best compete in ‘Fastest Skater’ and ‘Hardest Shot’. I am not one of those people. While my other New Jersey Devils fan acquaintances were ecstatic to hear the news of Zach Parise’s invitation to the All Star game, I was than thrilled. True, I am quite the Devils fans. Also true, Zach Parise is the highest scorer on our team and the third-highest scorer in the league. Zach Parise, however, isn’t my favorite Devil. Quite honestly, I think he’s overrated.


Yes, I do think that he’s adorable (come on, when he lost his front teeth last year, he had a lisp for like 5 games). He’s a hunky, sharp shooting 24-year-old and I am a teenage girl, meaning I should be head over heels for him like every puck-bunny this side of the Mississippi, but I’m more of a Jamie Langenbrunner fan, myself. But getting back to the All Star game, Zachy boy made it in this year for the first appearance of his career. He competed in the ‘Fastest Skater’ competition and placed third and shot in the ‘Elimination Shoot Out’ but was taken out in the first round (along with Dustin Brown of the LA Kings, Jeff Carter of the Philadelphia Flyers, Dany Heatley of the Ottawa Senators and Eric Staal of the Carolina Hurricanes to name a few.)

Tonight the stars will collide in Montreal as Ovechkin and Malkin take on Thorton and Getzlaf. If only Sidney Crosby wasn’t missing another All Star game. I’m not a Sid the Kid fan but I would like to see him actually play with other uber talented young stars. Anyway, while Sidney Crosby sits this one out, we’ll probably get to see some awesome toe-drags, dekes and maybe, if we’re lucky, a spin-o-rama. So let’s watch the clash of the titans and hope the glory goes to the deserving Eastern Conference. Maybe next year we’ll have an able-bodied Crosby on our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment